Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Saturday, April 09, 2016

Great Grey Owl; Håga Ägar, Uppsala; 7th December 2015

Great Grey Owl at dusk. All images here were digiscoped with a Panasonic Gh4.



Stunning video footage shot in the evening of an incredibly confiding bird...

Great Grey Owl! I was accompanied by Dries Engeln on this outing and we had Hawk Owl in the moring before hiking far into the forest to the west of Uppsala. On arrival at the meadow where the beast had been reported we quickly spent our time talking to other birders and it wasn't long before the bird was located. We rushed to the scene were we were treaed to quite unbelievable views of a typically fearless Great Grey Owl I was delighted for Dries, as this was a much wanted lifer and the smile on his face said it all. The bird spent an hour perched in a spruce, occasionally staring at us before it moved out into the meadow and started to hunt. At this point the views were mindblowing and on one occasion the bird sat on a post only a metreaway from birder's. It then transpired there were two birds present, as birders elswhere in the meadows were watching a second bird.
 Quite incredibly, as if this display wasn't enough, a Ural Owl put in a brief appearance at dusk! Dries had another lifer, against all the odds. Every now and then you have a red letter, things could not have gone any better on this day. We enjoyed a few hours with the Great Grey before heading home, very content birder's.





























No comments: