Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Thursday, October 01, 2015

Diurnal Migration at 30 M Kärret, Norra Järvafältet, 1st October 2015

A wonderful morning at 30 M Kärret, which unfolded after I awake early and decided to get out before work for a few hours. I arrived early at the site and was a little disappointed to find quite a bit of grey cloud developing. There were a lot of Fieldfare and Chaffinch moving to the southwest throughout. among them came the odd Meadow Pipit, often going over in small groups. It wasn't long before the first of 15 or so Sparrowhawk were picked up as they migrated south. Small numbers of Redwing, Blackbird, Redpoll, Siskin, Goldfinch also went over, whilst a single Reed Bunting and a Mistle Thrush were also heard overhead. A single Common Snipe was flushed, also no Great Snipe at this, an excellent site for the species.
 After an hour or so I locked onto my main target of the outing, a superb juvenile Rough'legged Buzzard, the first of four birds moving south. A Great Grey Shrike performed well throughout the morning and Goshawk, Common Buzzard and a White Tailed Eagle livened things up over the morning. Then. just after eleven a raptor appeared among three Common Buzzard, there were a few momements of confusion due to the white inner tail and expectancy of another Rough-legged Buzzard. It didn't take long for a sense of scale to be realised and a roar went up, a superb Golden Eagle had materialised and proceeded to give stunning, prolonged views for at least 12 minutes. It really was a stunner, only my fourth ever and my first non juvenile. This was a second calendar at least and it blew me away. I hadn't brought the DSLR, though the blow was softened by the fact I managed some decent video footage of the bird being mobbed by a Raven. Olle Bernard was present and as it eventually floated over out heads he got some excellent still shots...
Below is some videos and a few distant record shots. The rest of the time was spent looking through the scope and enjoying this magnificent bird...

Golden Eagle Video Here;


Great Grey Shrike; Video Below


And a few shocking record digiscopes below...







No comments: