Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Thursday, October 15, 2015

Bearded Tit at Hjälstaviken; 15th October 2015.





































After checking the northern part of Hjälstaviken and doing so well I decided to spent the last few hours of the day indulging in Bearded Tits. There are at least 50 birds present in the south at Spången WWF, the dense roadbeds are ringing with their calls. On arrival I could hear small groups everywhere and got a few quick glimpses of flying birds amid the reed tops.
 I knew the birds like to feed on the raised wooden walkway that winds through the redeemed and ends at the hide and decided to bide my time and kept a low profile. Sure enough, after twenty minutes without disturbance a pair of males appeared on the walkway and began to feed, carefully checking the cracks in the weathered wood for seeds. They have learned the wind blows food across the walkway and much of it gets trapped in these tiny crevices. The birds were wonderful to watch, with a curious sinus gait on flat group, often using their feet to pry seeds from amid the cracks! The birds were not perturbed at all by my presence and several birds appeared over the course of a couple of hours and allowed me to finally get photos of this truly special species, surely one of Europe's most attractive passerines. The results are here, all digiscoped images using the Panasonic GH4, Paul Sayegh Digiadapter and Swaro ATX 95mm Scope. The light was very difficult due to the shadow thrown across the walkway by the uprights and rail, though in the end, I got some really nice images and was more than happy. What a wonderful experience...

No comments: