Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Friday, June 12, 2015

Sandemar Reserve; 10th June 2015





A last minute decision made to go to Sandemar Reserve proved an excellent decision after work. I only had a few hours on my hands, but the weather was glorious and birds were busy everywhere. On arrival I had nice views of a cracking male Red backed Shrike, though the bird was wary and avoided the camera lens. I figure the female is incubating and this species is rather prone to disturbance whilst on eggs, so I have the area a wide berth around the bush where I know the nest to be.
 Next up was a pair of Long tailed Tits, busily feeding a huge fledged clutch of young birds. Then a nice, though brief view of Garden Warbler. A singing Marsh Warbler was belting it out from deep cover at the corner of Stigen, I quickly located two more. Eventually I had nice views of one bird and even managed a little video footage. Yellowhammer, Blackcap, Lesser Whitethroat, Common Whitethroat and Icterine Warbler were all easily noted and all were singing. Common Rosefinch were next, at least two singing males near the tower, were there was a lot of activity, mainly from breeding Common Snipe, Lapwing and Redshank. A cracking summer plumaged Spotted Redshank was a highlight, feeding along the shore, whilst a single Temminck's Stint was distant. Offshore was a Black-throated Diver, some Eider, Goosander and Cormorant. There were a couple of second calendar White Tailed Eagle in the area too.
 At Hoggarn there were many Tree Pipit, Meadow Pipit and a nice singing Whinchat. Skylark were less obvious now and are probably busy nesting now. A Cuckoo was heard, though not seen. The evening really was stunning and there was nobody else in the area. I spent some time filming and managed to get some nice footage of the area, which I have now edited and have posted here.

No comments: