Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Tuesday, April 07, 2015

Bewick's Swan; A day out at Norra Järvafältet; 7th April 2015

 Bewick's Swan



  Bewick's Swan with Greylag Goose, not a great deal larger than the goose...



 A head on view of the bill pattern...



  Bewick's Swan



  Bewick's Swan



  Bewick's Swan



 Lesser Black-backed Gull



 Reed Bunting in song...



 Black headed Gulls are busy getting ready for the breeding season.



 Black headed Gull, a really smart species in summer plumage...



 Adult Cormorant...



 Coot



 The Bewick's out on the short grass later in the day...



 Lapwing



 Lapwing



Green Woodpecker, a lovely male...



Displaying Black Headed Gulls



A wonderful day at Norra Järvafältet. I arrived not long after dawn and as I walked through the woods there was much birdsong and calling. A Song Thrush was my first of the year, high atop a pine, singing it's heart out. Among the common species, there were Hawfinch. I had nice views of one pair...
On arrival at 30 M Kärret I settled down and had a small group of Stock Dove straight away. Starlings were present in good numbers, another early arriving migrant here. Several Common Buzzard displaying and were very nice, as was a male Reed Bunting. Over the marsh there were some drumming Common Snipe, diving high over the displaying Lapwings. Spring had certainly arrived...
 I soon made my way to the back of the marsh and immediately connected with my main target bird, a second year Bewick's Swan. The bird gave stunning views over the next hour or so and I got some decent snaps. This is not just rare here in Sweden, it is globally endangered. This was by far my best ever views of the species and it was a pleasure to watch it in the early morning sun.
 Other birds were picked up for the first time this year. A calling Pheasant and a couple of Meadow Pipits. Back to the migration watchpoint were there were nice views of a pair of Marsh Harrier's high overhead, a deep flapping display flight by the newly returned resident pair. An Osprey then put in an appearance over the lake, before a Green Sandpiper flew in calling. Skylarks sang overhead throughout.
 I made my way to Saby later on, it was busy there. The Black headed Gull colony was busy, the noise deafening. A single Black-throated Diver graced the lake, its mournful call carrying a long way. I took it all in for a while before cutting back diagonally across the park. Nothing exceptional of note, though everywhere there were signs of spring. I took plenty of photos and video footage as I went, I was enjoying the day immensely. At Ravalen there were lots of displaying Goldeneye and two pairs of Great Crested Grebe. A Green woodpecker gave wonderful views at the end of the afternoon and I went home very content. A wonderful days birding...

Click on the video here...


No comments: