Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Lesser Spotted Woodpecker's at Tyresö Slott; 24th March 2015

The afternoon was spent at Tyresö Slott on a recon to see what was around. The first migrants are returning and there was evidence of new arrivals immediately, singing Chaffinch were noted as soon as I stepped off the bus. I was not long into my stride when I heard a male Lesser Spotted Woodpecker along the river and quickly located the bird feeding industriuously. It was showing well and as I watched it was joined by a female. The birds remained in the area for the next couple of hours and I could not teat myself away, the views were stunning. The species is normally elusive and hard to pin down, though in the breeding season they become vocal and more sedentary. This pair were well worth the time invested and I thoroughly enjoyed watching them, a stunning little species. I grabbed quite a lot of video footage, which was tough, as they are very active feeder. In the end I got some lovely footage and have posted it below for all to enjoy.
 Other birds included my first Marsh Harrier of the year, a brief fly by and adult male. The weather was glorious today and the resident Blackbirds were in full song. Whilst there were no grebes present, it won't be long before the flood gates open and the spring migration cranks up a gear...


No comments: