Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Grey Heron; Rästasjön; 19th November 2014


















A selection of digiscoped efforts from today, the herons work well in black and white for me. though the light was excellent today...


A day out around Rästasjön saw me start at the Larch tree where the Two-barred Crossbill have been feeding, though on arrival it was quiet. A pair of Goshawks were a welcome distraction and I watched them chasing each other through the woods, an adult male seemingly being harassed by a huge juvenile female, quite possibly one go his own young. I narrowly missed a great phot opportunity before the birds departed, dropping off their perches like stones and melting into the woodland.
 A few minutes later the trumpeting of a Two-barred Crossbill was heard as a single female bird flew in and spent just a few minutes in the area, feeding briefly before laving the are. I decided to move on and bgan my walk around the lass at Rästasjön, lots of Coot, Mallard and 14 Gadwall were quickly noted. In the centre of the lake there were still 7 Great Crested Grebe present, whilst a brief view of a Water Rail was nice at the usual site for the species. i was disappointed to find the bird feeding station not yet in operation, though i had nice views of some Coal Tits there. Onwards around the lake and there was little of note, so I spent some time digiscoping the local Grey Herons, which were showing well in wonderful light.
 After leaving the lake I returned to the Larch tree without success, but there was a bonus on the way back to the train station. i picked up the call of Waxwing from the road and after ten minutes pottering around i tracked the birds to a couple of apple trees in a suburban garden. The birds were feeding on the far side of the tree for the most part, thug I did manage some nice video footage of these wonderful birds. One bird struck a window close by, though happily it recovered after a short time, a little dazed, but none the worse for the experience. Also feeding on the apples were Fieldfare, Blackbirds and a pair of Jay. all in all a very nice few hours out in the first day of good light in a couple of weeks...
Here is a lovely bit of video I shot today, the light was golden and the birds were showing really well in the trees on a small island in the east of the lake...

Click on settings to watch in HD...

No comments: