Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Videoscoping with Panasonic GH4

Yesterday was my first day out with the Panasonic Lumix GH4. I was kken to get some video footage, though the light was bad on the day. I decided it would be a good day to test out the camera in dull conditions. I set the canera video mode to Cine D and shot on MP4 as I do not possess a powerful enough computer as yet to deal with 4K footage. I am attach the GH4 to a Swarovski AX 95 scope by means of a Swarovski TLS Adaptor..

Here is some footage of a Slavonian Grebe at around 30 metres at 30x Magnification. Click on 1080p for best resolution available, though youtube has seriously downgraded this footage...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4MSCfCZUq0&list=UUUWm0gG93nKzlG2XotE1F3A


A little more distant here, a Redshank on 50x magnification. at around 60 metres distance. Again dull light and the focus was slightly off..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMd0TxC9_Vo&list=UUUWm0gG93nKzlG2XotE1F3A

Here. a little further away at around 70 metres is a feeding Wheatear, on 65x magnification. I wanted to push the range in bad light and up the magnification in order to see how the setup would cope for getting record footage of distant birds. Bear in mind the light is bad whilst filming and I am still unfamiliar with the camera..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f1hFfpcz0s&list=UUUWm0gG93nKzlG2XotE1F3A

Finally a close up on 50x of the earlier Slavonian Grebe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvWcMhCVeDs&list=UUUWm0gG93nKzlG2XotE1F3A


More thoughts and videos to come in the near future..

No comments: