Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Sandemar, 13th May 2014, Blogbirders 1000th Post

 Slavonian Grebe at  30 metres at 40x manification gives a good indication of what this setup can preoduce easily...

 Whichat at 50 metres on 50x magnification...

 Common Snipe at 60 metres here,,,

 Redshank at about 60 metres range

Red Backed Shrike at 75 metres away..

A very nice morning birding at Sandemar reserve started early. I arrived at 7.00am and hoped to locate the rather devisive large pipit that has been at the site the past two Days, a Blyths or Richards. It was not present unfortunatly and after a lot of searching I settled into the birding. Several species were my first of the year. A stunning male Red Backed Shrike came early on and was a wonderful sight. Garden Warbler, Whitethroat, Thrush Nightingale, at least 2 Wryneck, 2 Temmincks Stint, Whinchat, Spotted Redshank and a Swift were all my first of 2014. Even better still was a Black Tailed Godwit which is quite a rarity around Stockholm, I got the news out and the bird was seen by several birders as it stayed in the area. Snipe, Redshank, Wheatear, 19 Yellow Wagtails came later on, amongst more expected common species. Summer is rapidly approaching and migrants are now flooding in...
 The day was notable for being my first day out with my new Panasonic Lumix GH4, which I was digiscoping with by means of a Swarovski TLS adaptor. Initial results appear very good, as most birds were very distant and reasonable results were acheived despite my unfamiliarity with the camera. i will post more soon on the camera and Review it with regard to digiscoping and video scoping, the latter being foremost in my mind when getting the camera. A steep learning curve lies ahead. though the camera excites me greatly I must say..
 This is something of a landmark post for the blog, being the 1000th post to date. I never thought that it would take on such a long lifespan when I started it, I just want to acknowledge all those who drop by the site and thank everyone for the comments and follows. The blog has had more than 350,000 hits to date, a figure which is quite amazing to me...

No comments: