Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Fysingen, Red-necked Phalarope and Broad-billed Sandpipers, 28th May 2014







Above, record shots of Red-necked Phalarope...

My first visit to Fysingen in a very long time, too long in fact. This is a truly wonderful birding site and it was great to be back. On arrival I headed straight for where I knew the main attraction had been seen earlier in the morning, a Red-necked Phalarope. Locals had the bird lined up and it was that simple, I was finally looking at my first Red-necked Phalarope. How this species has managed to elude me for so long is something of a mystery to me, I have dipped quite a few and just never come across one whilst in the field. It was worth the wait though, I had glorious views of what is probably a female bird. It was a Little distant for photos, though the reach given to me by way of digiscoping was invaluable on this occasion. I watched the bird feeding in the same small area for an hour Before moving on.
 There was more to come though. After setting up over Srtoms Mad I had a fine male Garganey fly past, very nice. A mixed colont of Black/headed Gulls and Common Terns was busy incubating their cluthes of eggs, whilst breeding Lapwing, Shoveler, Gadwall and Redshank were all present. Two pairs of Little--ringed Plover were also nice to view, whilst a stunning pair of Marsh Harriers gave fantastic scope views. An Osprey put in an appearance briefly, whilst a Citrine Wagtail was heard call, but not seen. The species is breeding at the site, a rare occurence in Sweden. After some time I clocked three small waders flying in and as they landed I got the scope on them. I was delighted to behold three cracking Broad-billed Sandpipers! The birds were in view for a few minutes, before they dissapeared into low grasses and were lost from view.
 Later I made my way to the tower and checked the hundreds of hirundines and Swifts low over the lake. A Great Reed Warbler sang close by but was not in view. Sedge Warblers and a few Reed Warblers were also noted, whilst Thrush Nightingale song boomed from the thickets. I headed off from aholmen after a great day, I will not be waiting too long to return to this site again...

Click on the link below for record video of the Phalarope...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs1cmsNAehw&feature=youtu.be

Click on the link below for Osprey video taken today..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewHz4_ZozhE&list=UUUWm0gG93nKzlG2XotE1F3A

No comments: