Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Friday, May 23, 2014

Digiscoping with Panasonic Lumix GH4






















 

On a trip to Sandemar reserve my intention was to concentrate on getting some digiscoped images with the Panasonic GH4. As usual I was using my Swarovski ATX95 scope and the Swarovski TLS Adaptor. The light was very bright, strong sunlight all through the visit. I was also very humid and heavy and there was a softening effect through the scope, especially at distance.
 After some time taking a few videos of newly returned Wryneck, I made my way to an area called Pottan, where I knew a male Red Backed Shrike had taken up terrritory. On arrival he was present, along with a newly arrived female, both of which were based in a large Whitethorn bush, which was in full Blossom and made a nice backdrop. I sat around 35 metres back from the bush and waited and soon both birds were giving good views as they hunted large insects from the bush. I set the camera on manual setting, ISO800 and 800th second shutter speed. The images came out as are here, just a tiny bit of sharpening and no other photoshopping. For my first real effort they have come out quite well. In ideal light and once my knowledge of the camera improves I foresee this combination producing some excellent shots. It will, no doubt, be invaluable for record shots over greater ranges than my DSLR can handle....

No comments: