Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Mälarklippan; Visible Migration; 19th Febuary 2014

A day out to see if any late winter migration might be taking place was a real eye opener. I joined Raul Vicente, Par Åsberg, Niklas Westermark and Leo Rudberg at Malarklippen, a new venue for me. The site is located north of Stockholm and is located on a high, rocky outcrop. There is a breathtaking , extensive view to the west, which takes in Lake Malaren and surrounding forest, whilst to the south and southeast Stockholm can be seen. It is quiet, very promising and is ideal for spring migration.
 The date was 19th Febuary, which normally would mean little migration, though this year the winter has been incredibly mild here. Almost immediately we had Skylark flying north, then a Mistle Thrush! Jackdaws were the main species moving north, we settled in for the day and started to count.

The following were recorded migrating north, quite remarkable considering the date;
 683 Jackdaw, 21 Skylark, 3 Mistle Thrush, 1 Lapwing, 11 Common Buzzard, 2 Sparrowhawk, 1 Waxwing, 20 Stock Dove, 8 Mute Swan, 1 Greylag Goose, I Bean Goose, 1 Grey Heron.

The following were noted in habitat on site;
 1 Black Woodpecker, 1 Green Woodpecker, 1 Wren, 7 White Tailed Eagle, 173 Tufted Duck, 1 pair Smew, 4 Hawfinch, 65 Common Redpoll, 7 Stock Dove, 6 Goldfinch.

All in all, a quietly remarkable day in mid Febuary. Hoppfully The early birds continue to appear to break the winter monotony. A day much enjoyed by all present. I was very impressed by this sites potential and Ill be back for more here this spring..



No comments: