Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Landsort; 22nd October 2013

Up before dawn for a hearty breakfast before getting the gear packed and getting out the door. The conditions were tough, strong SSE winds and light rain. There was a few passerines around the village, Goldcrests were heard and a single Chiffchaff was picked up. A seawatch from the lighthouse  in the south was my mission, I found a nice sheltered shot and began at 07.40am. Seasick passage was reasonable, even in deteriorating conditions and I managed a four hour watch with Rasmus Elleby. The following birds were recorded;
 2 Great crested Grebe, 1 Red throated Diver, 102 Common Scoter, 72 Velvet Scoter, 710 Long tailed Duck, 2 SCAUP, 25 Eider, 2 Tufted Duck, 4 Goldeneye, 10 Red breasted Merganser, 21 Wigeon, 1 Wigeon, 1 Teal, 46 Barnacle Goose, 72 Common Gull, 25 Black headed Gull, 5 LITTLE GULL(1 first Calender, 4 Adult), 7 Black Guillemot.
 In addition there were 6 Waxwing, 1 Mistle Thrush, 2 Redwing, 1 Reed Bunting and a Meadow Pipit overhead. All in all, not a bad haul on a tough morning..


No comments: