Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Landsort; Sunday 21st October

At Sodra Udden for 07.20am, only to hear I'd just missed a Shorelark. Early passage was slow at sea, though again there were passerines migrating. Fieldfare, Finches and the odd bunting, followed by small flocks of Long Tailed Tit. At 8.06am there was a pipit calling which I strained to hear and had to let go, then a Snow Bunting flew over calling, the first of three birds. Better still was a Lapland Bunting, my 200th species of the year. A Ring Ouzel was most welcome, moving around Sodra Udden, calling. Then at 09.32am frustration, a bunting flew past calling, 'tic'! It called a few times, but was a blip in the sky and could not be identified, though at such a late date Little Bunting seemed the likely culprit. Little Gull were again around, whilst 21 dark bellied Brent Geese flew past over the sea. Several White Tailed Eagle were in the area. The following species and totals were logged before 12.30pm;
19 Little Gull north and 8 offshore, 14 Pintail, 3 Teal, 21 Brent Goose, 26 Goosander, 34 Red Breasted Merganser, 8 Black Guillemot, 145 Long Tailed Duck, 2 Goldeneye, 6 Common Scoter, 13 Velvet Scoter, 3 Raven, 34 Hooded Crow, 38 Jackdaw, 2 Sparrowhawk, 1 Goshawk, 1 Common Crossbill, 184 Chaffinch, 75 Brambling, 28 Greenfinch, 145 Siskin, 21 Bullfinch, 145 Redpoll, 1 Lapland Bunting, 3 Snow Bunting, 2 Reed Bunting, 32 Meadow Pipit, 1 Ring Ouzel, 245 Fieldfare, 8 Mistle Thrush, 7 Redwing, 34 Tree Sparrow, 47 Twite, 1 Woodpigeon, 8 Waxwing and 27 Long Tailed Tit. All migrating and moving south off the island..

I went back for lunch to hear a Grey Wagtail, Snow Bunting and a Crested Tit were the best birds from the north end. After lunch 3 Swallow were very late, flying north at Bredmar. A look around to the north saw another big flock of Fieldfare, this one 300 strong. A few Mistle Thrush called in their midst. I narrowly missed a Peregrine before finding a cracking Great Grey Shrike. This was followed by 4 Hawfinch, a good bird on the island. A few Chiffchaff rounded off the evening and I headed back to the observatory at dusk, another good day under my belt..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You didn't record the ticking bunting? Little Buntings are fairly distinctive on sonograms. Jelmer

Alan Dalton said...

I actually had the parabol with me, thought it was recording the entire morning, only to find the Marrantz had switched itself off due to a mistake I made with the presets. I had enabled silent skip, worse still, I had forgotten that mic attenuation was at -12db, which meant it didn't come back on. A mistake I won't make again, it cost me a good record in this case. Would also have had some lovely recordings of good species like Lapland Bunting, Snow Bunting and Twite...