Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Golden Eagle; 30 M Kärret; 7th October 2012















Talk about being on a roll birdwise. I can't put a foot wrong all of a sudden! On my second day off work after picking up the pieces from my return from Georgia, I decided to catch up on friends and had a beer fuelled Sunday afternooon watching Machester United coast to a 3-0 victory against Newcastle, away. Suffice to say,  I was late out of bed and decided to head for 30 M Kärret. The day before a Hawk Owl had given  stunning views to all present and I arrived hopeful. I literally got there and popped over to the watchpoint, set up the scope and heard Olle Bernard roar 'Kungsörn', which is swedish for Golden Eagle! A ridiculous state of affairs had meant I had never seen one in ten years in Sweden and I got on the bird quickly, a superb 2nd calender. Initially it was distant, but eventually it went right overhead and I got the shots above...after Batumi it was a piece of cake and the views through the scope were breathtaking....Lifer!






Other birds on the day included this Great Grey Shrike, a superb adult female Rough Legged Buzzard and large numbers od migrating Common Buzzard, Sparrowhawk and Common Crane. No Hawk Owl, but forgive me. It's taken so long to catch up with the trip to Georgia on the blog, the photos will have to suffice. Hopefully, still on a roll, time will tell and the autumn is not over.....












No comments: