Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Raptor Migration; 30 M Kärret;5th September 2012


 Honey Buzzard; A male bird here here. This bird was the only individual to come within camera range today, happily it was one of the two adults seen. The small head, long winged appearance confirmed this bird as a Honey Buzzard. Further aged as an adult male as follows. Note the uneven trailing edge to the wing and the obvious moult of the innermost primaries. Juveniles show no moult at this time of year, so this bird is not one of this years young. Features supporting the identification of a male include the sharpl defined black primary tips and well defined dark band on the trailing edge of the secondaries.  note the classic tail pattern, a dark subterminal bale with two finer dark bars on the innertail. The head was blue/grey, though the upperparts weren't seen as the bird was directly above me before I noticed it. I have seen males with a larger unbarked area on the inner primaries, could this be a subadult male?




White Tailed Eagle, a second calender bird this one? These birds seem to be eveywhere at the momement...

Arrrived a liitle before 9am. at 30 M Kärret, a glorious morning of autumnal sunshine. The weather had prompted me to hope for some raptor migration and this is a good site for it, close to home, just north of Stockholm. Things proved slow, though every now and then a raptor was picked up moving towards me in the distance and the first of these was a Sparrowhawk, followed by a juvenile Marsh Harrier. The trickle was enough to keep me there until 3pm. Totals as follows;

 9 Honey Buzzard(1 male, 1 ad female, 7 juvenile), 15 Sparrowhawk, 2 Marsh Harrier(juvenile), 9 Common Buzzard(5migrating), 3 Hobby(juveniles), 3 Goshawk(2 juvenile, 1 adult), 2 White-tailed Eagle(juvenile and a probable 2nd Calender). Also 14 Yellow Wagtail, 28 Meadow Pipit, 3 House Martin, 120 Swallow, 2 Red backed Shrike and a host of common species...

All in all, a decent few hours birding. Next week I head for the raptor watching station at Batumi, Georgia. The raptor watching there will be nothing short of mind boggling, many thousands of birds will be seen each day, several species, such as Booted Eagle, will be new to me. A full report and photos upon my return naturally...







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice photos! Your are going to Batumi!!! Wow! Have a good time! You will surely see many interesting different species there! And I read that they have set a world record in number of raptors recorded in one day! Cheers. Dirk