Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Monday, September 10, 2012

Angarn; 10th September 2012

 Midsommarberget; Angarn



 The view from Midsommarberget towards Byskberget....



 Whit Wagtail were numerous today, birds moving through all the time...



 A Kestrel moves high up overhead, an adult male....



 A few of the local residents chewing the cud...



Golden Plovers; Two on nine birds present, digiscoped with the iPhone 4S...

A day out at angarn was held up as I had to get to the bank before my trip to Batumi, Georgia. Got that out of the way and made my way to Angarn on an amazing autumn day, the sun beaming down. On arrival a Hobby was immediately picked up feeding over the reserve, a juvenile bird. There were dragonflies everywhere and the bird was feeding busily. I made my way straight to Byskberget and sat for 90 minutes, scanning the reserve carefully. In the end, no less than 4 Hobby were feeding over the length of the reserve, always distantly. In addition to this were several Common Buzzard on the far side near Åsta. Waders were scarce, though a nice flock of 11 Ruff flew in and dissapeared into the long grass on the flooded meadows. White Wagtails were moving through all the time and a few Yellow Wagtail were with them, often calling and giving themselves away. A cracking adult male Marsh Harrier quartering the reeds was followed by an equally cracking adult female, a lovely bird with extensive creamy forewings, covert's and head.
 I eventually moved a short distance and became more active. Lundbydyket nearly always produces something of interest and had seen a Red Throated Pipit recorded earlier in the morning. I walked the drainage ditch, full of iris and willow and eventually realized I was pushing something skulking along in front of me. It called after a few minutes and I knew it was my first Bluethroat of the year. I kept rolling it along, until, from a large Willow at the end of the cover, two Bluethroat flew out low down and doubled back into the ditch, calling and showing those wonderful red tail bases. Nice! I made my way through some stubble and put up a few Skylark and several Common Snipe, the latter were carefully checked. Then a familiar call came across the fields and I looked up to see a small flock of Golden Plover flying in to an adjacent field. A short while later I had at least nine birds in the scope, the field they were in looking fantastic for waders. There were no more there though! A male Kestrel flew over at this point, whilst 3 Red Backed Shrike juvenile were then located. all in all, nice birding.
 I slowly tracked around the reserve, about 550 Greylag Geese were loud at times, a couple of adult Whooper Swan were also seen. Hobby continued to feed high up. At Kusta I had a third Bluethroat, flushed from some long grass and weeds, whilst a juvenile Whinchat was also here. In addition, there were Wheatear, several birds bouncing along in front of me, including a stunning autumn male. All the time I scanned the slopes to my left, hoping for a harrier, it never came. At the outflow there were some Teal and a large flock of White Wagtail, a few Yellow Wagtails among them. A Sparrowhawk went over to the south. I was just approaching the style at the outflow when I heard a call behind that I thought I recognized immediately. I turned around and listened carefully. After three or four seconds the call was given again, I heard it clearly this time and then twice more. A Red Throated Pipit, my first of the autumn and a good bird. The bird flew west and faded into the distance, a speck in the binoculars which faded to a smaller speck. I moved onwards and eventually settled down back at Byskberget, several hours later, the whole reserve now covered. I sat and watched two hunting Hobby for a while as the sun sank downwards, as a very nice day out came to a very nice end...

No comments: