Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Landsort; 30th August 2012

Dawn watch was decided best at Sodra Udden at first light, Raul Vicente joined me. I had been supposed to leave the previous day, though a promised Southeasterly, F4, forced a rethink and I decided to stay until today. On arrival at the light house a mixed flock of Pintail and Wigeon passed, then another of Teal. Then a flock of Dunlin, birds were moving and the southeast wind was pushing them close to the island. We relocated to the southeast of the rocky shoreline, tucked in behind a wall and enjoyed what would prove a remarkable day of Baltic sea-watching. Flocks of dabbling duck and waders prevailed, usually mixed and the result was a fantastic experience as we sifted through the birds looking for other, less common species. In short, it was one of those days when things come right and we had some remarkable totals as well as some birding of the highest quality. Between 05.40-13.40 we had the following;
203 Teal, 434 Wigeon, 407 Pintail, 292 Common Scoter, 429 Dunlin, 152 Common/Arctic Tern, 11 Shoveler, 4 Red Throated Diver, 4 RED NECKED GREBE, 4 Curlew Sandpiper, 1 Little Stint, 11 Grey Plover, 29 Knot, 10 Bar Tailed Godwit, 5 Ringed Plover, 61 Oystercatcher, 8 Golden Plover, 4 Arctic Skua, 4 Lesser Black-backed Gull, 4 Red Breasted Merganser, 9 Velvet Scoter, 1 Pochard, 4 White Tailed Eagle, 3 Hobby and a probable Red Necked Phalarope.
At that point I had to leave, pack and clean my room at the observatory before getting the last ferry off the island leaving Raul still birding. An unforgettable experience, what an astonishing island to be birding on...



No comments: