Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Landsort; 29th August 2012

Another great days birding, with a little bit of quality..
Dawn saw me at Sodra Udden this time. A southwesterly was blowing as light broke and the first bird was a colossal juvenile Goshawk which briefly landed in front of me before scrambling away at the sight of me peering at it! From 05.40-10.40 the following were logged;

79 Common Gull, 4 White Tailed Eagle, 47 Black Headed Gull, 64 Common Scoter, 146 Eider, 1 Dunlin, 2 Oystercatcher, 3 Pintail, 79 Cormorant, 3 Scaup, 2 Red Throated Diver, 12 Goosander, 4 Grey Plover, 46 Teal, 4 Tufted Duck, 116 Common/Arctic Tern, 3 Ringed Plover, 5 Arctic Skua, 57 Swallow, 46 Wigeon, 1 MERLIN, 4 Sparrowhawk, 4 Velvet Scoter and a rarity, 1 SANDWICH TERN, which flew southwest.

An evening watch from Vasarbunkern brought another rarity, a POMARINE SKUA! A second calendar bird I saw hassling a Common Gull before it headed around the corner, the I'd nailed beyond doubt by newly arrived Raul Vicente who was sitting on the SE corner.
following that came a large mixed flock of migrating duck, 45 odd Pintail and Wigeon with a single Shoveler in their midst at dusk. Another cracking days birding...










No comments: