Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Landsort; 28th August 2012

Up before dawn and prepared breakfast and a packed lunch and headed to Norrudden for dawn. A light northeasterly was blowing and it was obvious birds were moving. Overhead Tree Pipit, Yellow Wagtail and other passerines were streaming off the island toward the mainland as I began counting. I recorded with the Parabol for four hours, having set it up in the headland pointing upwards, leaving it to tape the mornings migrants whilst I got on with birding. From 06.15-13.15 I tallied the following...

81 Tree Pipit, 75 Willow Warbler, 26 Golcrest, 17 Yellow Wagtail, 139 White Wagtail, 2 Wigeon, 1 Common Sandpiper, 559 Cormorant, 212 Meadow Pipit, 4 Cuckoo, 2 Red Throated Diver, 33 Chaffinch, 1 Common Whitethroat, 5 Sparrowhawk, 4 Hobby, 2 Kestrel, 46 Swallow, 91 House Martin, 1 Whinchat, 4 Common Redpoll, 6 Teal, 4 Scaup, 47 Black headed Gull, 44 Pintail, 12 Grey Plover, 1 Greenshank, 6 Lesser Whitethroat, 26 Bar Tailed Godwit, 1 Spotted Flycatcher, 1 Fieldfare, 1 Green Sandpiper, 19 Wood Pigeon, 1 Curlew, 1 Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, 5 Raven, 2 Ringed Plover, 1 Lesser Black-backed Gull.

Stunning birding! After that I ambled back slowly to the observatory, without many birds being seen on the way. On arrival at Bredmar a raptor came in off the sea, a cracking juvenile Honey Buzzard, my first of the year...
The evening was spent at Vadarbunkern and Sodra , though not much to show for it, except for 5 White Tailed Eagle offshore harrying gulls for food. All in all a cracking days birding...






No comments: