Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Monday, July 02, 2012

Birding at Maspalomas Lagoon; Gran Canaria; 26th June 2012

Kestrel, a resting male. A pair breeding at the site...




Laughing Dove...




Canary, abundant enough in the scrub around the lagoon...




Monk Parakeet, another escapee doing well and flourishing in the wild here....




Greenshank




Great Spotted Cuckoo. A lifer for me and the highlight of the day without a doubt...




Greater Flamingo, a rather unexpected sight!


Got up early and got the Maspalomas Laggon at dawn, immediately had a brace of Spoonbills at first light, whilst Kentish Plovers ran about! Birds were everywhere and as the light increased I began to pick them up. Monk Parakeets, Glossy Starlings, Waxbill all added a bizzarre touch as feral birds, escapees that are doing well and increasing in the wild. Plain Swifts fed overhead, a species I had ticked a few days earlier. A Greenshank fed in the margins whilst another wader on the far side took longer to identify, a Marsh Sandpiper, an adult bird and unexpected. A pair of Kestrels were feeding a brood of noisy young, whilst Sardinian Warblers, Spanish Sparrows and Collared Doves were everywhere around me. The golf course produced Hoopoe and Southern Grey Shrike, the latter a lifer. Next came Laughing Dove and Canary Island Chiffchaff. Even better was to come when I flushed a lrge bird out of a bush, a long tail, tan primaries and flash of white spots telling me I was looking at my first Great Spotted Cuckoo, a real thrill and also a new bird for me. I had fantastic views of this impresive bird, the hightlight of the morning for me. Another lifer followed, Bertholot's Pipit, though views were a little distant. By now the sun was hight in the sky and the temperture already in the high 20's, I headed back the way I came, seeing more of the same. One last unexpected bird came at the lagoon, the Spoonbills were gone, only to be replaced by a Greater Flamingo! What a cracking morning's birding!


No comments: