Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Monday, May 07, 2012

Landsort 6th May 2012

Awoke really early again and accompanied Raul Vicente to the north tip this time. A cracking bonus bird on the way was a Red Necked Grebe migrating, picked up on a check of Jutvik. At the north tip we found sea passage slow on calm conditions, just a trickle of seaduck. Offshore two pairs of Arctic Skua harried Arctic Terns. White-tailed Eagle were very much on show too before a Green Sandpiper flew over calling. a few Tree Pipit were picked up migrating on call whilst I picked up a highlight, a migrating Shelduck. moment later Raul picked up another, before a cracking Spotted Redshank flew past with it's common brethern. Then the Steller's Eider was located far offshore by Raul, though later it was flushed by a White Tailed Eagle and flew right into north harbour. This was a lifer for John and we soon raised him by mobile and I made my way down to enjoy amazing views of this bird, now a very long stayer. The bird moved out of view before John arrived, though we were able to move position, relocat it and enjoy brilliant views of it, also stubling into a summer plumaged Turnstone.
 Later in the day things were quiet by the islands stanards, though Redstart, Wryneck, Blackcaps and Willow/Chiffs were to be found. I later located a Collared Dove in the village before heading for the Arctic Tern colonywere there were wonderful views of these birds and plenty of shots taken with the cameras. John then had to head off on the ferry and home, I decided to set up the parabol and do some sound recording, getting a few species, notably Long-tailed duck and Wheatear. A very nice day of weather with some great birds for good measure...

Photos will be uploaded of this trip on my return to Stockholm in a few days time...

No comments: