Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Slavonian Grebe; Kyrksjön; Bromma; 19th April 2012

 Slavonian Grebe pair, utterly stunning birds..




 A single bird approaches the camera...




 Four birds here in the same frame. Territorial disputes were the order of the day...




 Another shot of the same singleton...




 Ans here, in the distance, is the courtship dance I would dearly love to photograph and sketch at close range..




Also present were two pairs of Great Crested Grebe...


A quick trip to Kyrksjön in Bromma in the hope of securing some decent shots of Slavonian Grebe. On arrival I was delighted to see several birds on the small lake, at least three pairs present. It was rather windy though and the water was choppy. Also, there was a childrens race going on around the lake and   the charming wee brats had me pestered constantly! I was lying prone on a wooden dock hoping for the grebes to approach, when a gang of kids would charge down the runa and scream at me, "Are you a birdwatcher?!"All ggod fun really, though the results were that the grebes did not approach to point blank. I did however manage a few shots, postedabove of these stunning birds. Real dazzlers these, I had hoped to get a close shot od courtship, but there was only one brief dance in the distance. I vow to return very early on a bright, calm morning...


No comments: