Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Landsort; 17th-18th April 2012

 Black-headed Gull; The colony at the north harbour on the island is bustling, as well as many of these birds on passage offshore...




 Chaffinch were very much in evidence, although migrant passerines were scarce generally, still a little early for many species..




 A backlit Eider taking off. A huge passage on the first mornings seawatch, with 9,444 birds logged. Landsort is a superb site for witnessing massive movements of seaduck...




 A Jackdaw watches me outside the bird observatory...




 Landsort Fyren. The lighthouse at the southern tip of this narrow island, which is a major asset for attracting migrants at tmes of passage..




 A pair of Oystercatchers. At least five pairs stationary on the island...




 A Raven flies past Sodra Udden, the southern tip of the island..




 Velvet Scoters on passage, hundreds were seen over the two days...




Whooper Swans flying east over the Baltic Sea. Two of eight birds in the flock here...

As always, a real pleasure to visit the island of Landsort. Still a week or two early for migrant passerines, though nevertheless the passage at sea was impressive. Detail below of the highlights, each post listing species and total counts from the dawn seawatches. I was the only birder on the island throughout. This is a tremendous site to watch birds and never dissapoints...

No comments: