Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Monday, April 23, 2012

Ågesta; 23rd April 2012

A good afernoon birding today at Ågesta. I had intended to arrive early in the morning, though wet conditions put that intention away. I arrived at around 11am and immediately went to Mysvik to look for the reported Jack Snipe. Straight away I had an unexpected yeartick, a cracking male Yellow Wagtail of the grey headed for was feeding in front of the viewing area. Soon I had the Jack Snipe in the scope, then another, after a while all three birds! I spent a couple of hours here watching these birds through the scope, not a species you see well very often and rarely on the ground as well as this. My first Swallow of the year was then called by a local birder, before I located two feamle Ruff on the lake. Nice birding this, an Osprey fishing over the water, whilst a pair of Marsh Harrier were nest building. Over some nearby tress was a Sparrowhawk, later replaced by a pair of Goshawk.
 I headed for Pumphusängen and was dissapointed to find it flooded. A pair of Green Sandpiper were here, along with plenty of Teal. A Water Rail called as I took photos of a Gadwall pair. A movement caught my eye in the reeds a while later, a cracking male Whinchat, an early record too! I headed back along the track, taking in many common species before getting more good views of Jack Snipe back at Mysvik. A very nice afternoon indeed..




No comments: