Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Telinga Parabol Equipment

 My new sound recording system arrived over the weekend, this is more or less the whole system set up, though the mic is more securely attached to the parabol in the field. Note the clear, soft plastic parabol, which is key to the recording process. A fairly light bit of kit to carry about..




 Telinga Stereo Dat Mic. After a bit of thought decided to go for the Stereo Dat for a nice full sound...




 Telings Pro8 Handle. The grip by which the system is held, internally wired. The cable here is attached directly to the Stereo Dat Mic...






Marrantz 661 Digital Recorder. Picked this up some time ago second hand from a birding friend, a nice straightforward machine to use in the field. The machine was hardly used as is in perfect condition. There is a carrying case with it for use in the field, allowing it to hang at ones side by means of a shoulder strap.

My interest in birdsong and in particular, their calls has seen me invest in a system to record them. The above Telinga Stereo Dat package is a complete kit designed to record focused sound my means of a stereo microphone mounted in the centre of a parabol. This is perfect tool for picking up and recording the sounds birds make, from songs to calls, as well as other behaviours, such as the drumming of woodpeckers. Its a fantastic bit of kit and I'm looking forward to the spring, recording it's songsters and having the ability to record, document and share this. I will atempt to give an account of my recording, the process and progress over the coming months for antone interested. The recording of passage birds and their calls will also be very much on my agenda later in the year..

No comments: