Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Thursday, March 08, 2012

White-tailed Eagle; 8th March 2012

Whilst out looking for a Great Grey Owl, which showed well, this flies over!. Note the long tail in this record shot, no white apparent on the underwing or tail bases..




A view of the wing shape, a long winged bird with 5-6 pmaries fingered...




A view here of a bit of the upperwing, note the paler tones on the wing covert's..

Whilst I was out for Great Grey Owl and was thinking of nothing else I looked up to see a raptor heading my way. It was still far, but my initial view through the binoculars saw me think Common Buzzard, then instantly dismiss this when I realized this was a far bigger bird. Longish tail on the bird, though surely an eagle, pale upperwing coverts, dark underwing and no signs of white on the tail. All the pieces seemed to fall together quickly and I thught I was looking at my first Golden Eagle, a long overdue sighting considering the amount of birding I do. Later this bird was confirmed a a young White-tailed Eagle, so a bit of a come down! A mistake, though a lesson learned and I thought I'd publish the photos---


No comments: