Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Sunday, February 05, 2012

Pochard; Skeppsbron; 5th Febuary 2012

 A Pochard drake just afte surfacing. These are scarce birds here in Sweden and they took a little finding today. I saw several birds though this male was a star and gave me some great photo opportunities...




 Note the blue/grey on the bill, chestnut head with red eye, blackish breast and tail a grey, vermiculated body...




 The bird looking up at me as I fired off shots and the shutter whirred....




 The bird caught in mid dive...




 A. The bird gets ready to dive...




 B. The bird thrusts its legs back and the head is thrust downwards..




 C. Just the tail shows as a neat arcing dive takes the bird underwater,,,




 D. Nothing left to see here...




The bird back on the surface, note the large bill and sloping forehead...

Shots here of a very confiding Pochard from this afternoon at Skepsbron. Not an easy species to find here in winter and it was nice to finally get some shots close up and personal. Cracking bird these...

No comments: