Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Thursday, February 09, 2012

Glaucous Gull; Skeppsbron; 9th Febuary 2012

Glaucous Gull, a second calender bird. Flying off to the west here, the closest I got to it today. Nice to get this bird for the yearlist today, a rare soecies this far north in the Baltic Sea, only my second ever, the first also at this site...


The bird resting on ice as the Djurgården ferry passes by behind amongst argentatus Herring Gull. A large bird this, clearly bulkier and heavier than the birds beside it...


 White-tailed Eagle overhead. Amazing to see these birds right in the centre of Stockholm...

 I was late out of bed, a text from John Costello told me the Glaucous Gull was present at Skeppbron and showing well. I made my way to Slussen and immediately had a breif view of a Little Grebe near the dock from which the Djurgården ferry departs, this was my first of the year. The bird was skulking close to the dock sides in a small area of water which was free from ice. With so many large gulls and other predators in the area it was not hard to understand why this bird was generally so difficult to see, it has been secretive.
  I moved along quickly and found birder's watching the gull which was now a little distant. John Costello was among them and quickly pointed out the gull, which was now resting on floating ice, which had drifter further away fron the wharf. It remained on the ice for some time before it was put up by the Djurgården ferry and flew towards us initially. It came around before us before gaining a little height, then it flew off to the west, towards Riddarfjärden perhaps. Raul Vicente picked up the wintering Red-breasted Merganser from the Goosander flock, which made the third year tick of the day. The bird is associating with Goosander and has been in the area for some time. After that we went towards Matflotten and looked for Pochard without success, before heading back to Slussen and heading off after a few very productive hours birding...

No comments: