Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Monday, February 27, 2012

Eurasian Eagle Owl; Stockholm; 28th Febuary 2012

 Eagle Owl at rest on an aerial. Tried a long exposure to try and get some light, but only with moderate success. The bird present at dusk yet again, though a different sequence of appearance tonight...




 The male bird on a man made structure, lots of these around providing plenty of perches to display from...




This is the male of the pair at rest on an aerial. It soon moved a short distance and sarted to display, before it was answered briefly by the female, who was then picked up 100metres away on a rooftop!

Back to see the Eagle Owl tonight, this time there was a different twist to the evening. I arrived with my girlfriend Linda at 16.00 and we waited. The previous evening had been much brighter than this one and the birds were calling then by 16.45. Not on this occasion. I eventually picked up the bird in the trees flying up to perch at the back of th tree. A few minutes later it flew towards us and gave a stunning view as it floated right over our heads, It flew to an aerial and strarted to display. Whilst watching the bird through the scope the female was heard answering the male, it was soon located just 100m away on a rooftop. Both birds stayed about for just a few minutes before moving off, though superb views were had whilst they were in view...

Video Footage Here;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_D1W0yCgV4&list=UUUWm0gG93nKzlG2XotE1F3A&index=1&feature=plcp

No comments: