Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Rough-legged Buzzard; 2nd Calender; 30 M Kärret; 18th January 2012

Long winged buzzard, rather less compact than Common Buzzard. Note the creamy tones on the head and upper breast. The lower belly is rather solidly dark blackish. Dark primary tips here and diffuse trailing edge the secondaries..

Note here the white flashes on the upper primaries, indicative of a young bird, rather than an adult. Pale tips to greater coverts can just be made out here on the upperwing. Note the white, unpatterned inner primary/secondary window. The dark carpal is not solidly blackish. The primaries show no moult limit, these are typical of a first winter bird, which is supported by the features in plumage noted here..


A view here of the pale iris and well streaked upper breast over a creamy base...

Heading away from me, the best image to how the rather diffuse darrk band on the undertail.Note again the paler tips to the greater covert's shown here on the upperwing on the furthest wing...


An outing today to Norra Järvafältet started at Barkarby Flygplats, where there were few birds present, the best being a Chaffinch among the Yellowhammers. On then to 30 M Kärret where I learned on arrival the Great Grey Shrike had been present earlier in the morning, so I decided to search for it, alas without any success yet again! A single Common Crossbill flew over calling, as well as a small flock of Siskin. I had view of a Common Buzzard low over the woods before a second Buzzard was spotted perched in a tree, this bird appeared very dark on the lower breast and a closer approach was made. My suspicions were confirmed on a closer view, a Rough-legged Buzzard. The bird flew soon enough, happily in my direction and I was able to grab a few reasonable record shots as it pased to my right. Afterwards I checked the bird feeding station where a host of common species were seen well. A Treecreeper on my way home was a yearlist addition...

No comments: