Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Monday, January 09, 2012

Arctic Redpoll; Eriksdalslunden; 9th January 2012

 My first ever adult male Arctic Redpoll. Once it was finally pinned down it didn't dissapoint, a stunning bird. Note the salmon pink flush on the breast and the faint marking on the underside...




Note here the small amount of red on the crown as well as the small bill, classic Arctic Redpoll. A better view here of the undertail covert's, white with just a single long central shaft...

Having located the Redpoll flock at this site I had though it would be straightforward to locate this bird, it being an adult male and not so difficult to identify as a young bird. In reality, this was not how things panned out. Most of the flock remained high in the trees feeding on catkins, it was dark and overcast and the birds were very active and moving constantly. Some birds dropped to the ground and I checked them carefully, no Arctic Redpoll. Finally I had a couple of glimpses, a nice salmon pink flush and plain underparts! Eventually I had a decent view and grabbed a few shots as well, a really stunning bird. These birds are very much birder's birds, closely resemling their comoner cousins and often difficult to identify, not so this bird!

No comments: