Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Monday, November 14, 2011

Dusky Thrush; A first for Sweden; Låssa; 14th November 2011

My first clear view of this stunning thrush, a Swedish first, a very distinctive bird which thrilled the crowds today...




The bird reappeared every fifteen minutes feeding in the berry tree, then retireing to an area of pine to digest food before reappearing. The bird would gorge itself on a dozen berries before moving off.




Note the supercilium, breastband of crescented feathers, marked flanks ovet a whitisish base, A stunning bird...




Thr birds wing caught on the branches as it flopped down to feed. Throughout the observations the golden berries provided an incredibly colourful backdrop..




Again, a stunning bird. Note the pale fringes to the tertials...




The bird fed actively throughout the day...




Note the fresh outer greater coverts contrasting with the inner covert's, active post juvenile moult which confirms the bird to be a first calender bird. A small thrush, though rather thick legged and sturdy billed.






















Thee bird was occasionally seen high in the nearby treees. Variable light meant difficuly conditions for photography and I constantly had to reset the camera settings in manual mode. Eventually I reverted to the telescope and just enjoyed the views, taking some fieldsketches...




The only flight shot of the day...



Dusky Thrush, what can you say, a European Mega Rare and this one, a Swedish first record. Arrived just after first light and was relieved to find it still present, what a bird. Without doubt one of the best birds I have ever seen, it gave stunning views at times.
 The bird was found at Låssa two days ago, feeding on a large ornamntal berry tree, possibly a Fireberry or Pyrocantha variety. It is thought the bird may have been present for a week, what a surprise it must of been for the local birder that found it..
 I arrived just after dawn to find birder's present and on my arrival they already seen the bird moments before. I waited anxiously, confident the bird would reappear. Ten minutes later it flew into the berry tree from a large spruce at the back of the garden and I got the scope on it and had the first of many stunning views. Over the next few hours it showed well every fifteen minutes or so feeding on the berries before retiring to the spruce tree nearby. The light early on was poor, so I used the scope and got lots of notes and sketches done before eventually trying to get the shots posted here. Hopefully the bird will stay n...

2 comments:

Mike Woodcock said...

What a stunner!

Alan Dalton said...

An amazing bird to look at alright. I'll be back for a secong look should it hang about. Thanks for dropping by Mike!