Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Monday, October 10, 2011

Red Eyed Vireo and other birding; Cape Clear Island; 10th October 2011

 Red Eyed Vireo at Brid's Garden, Cape Clear Island, a transatlantic passerine found this morning by Steve Wing, the Observatory Warden. A cracking bird in every way this, my best shot above...




 Above and below, two shots of the bird which were also good, note the blue/grey crown and striking white super bordered by dark above and below...






 Again here two shots from the same position. Note the long wings, green toned upperparts and very clean whitish underparts..










 A typical view of the bird from today...




The bird was mobile and moved about a lot. Here its along the cliff edge at Coosaneska...

A great days birding out of the blue today. Ed Carthy and Peter Mc Dermot came on to the island for the day and I was with them in Cotters Garden, the odd Goldcrest, Chiffchaff and a northern type Willow Warbler had been seen there. At some stage the house above us had a phone call and we were informed the was a Red Eyed Vireo off the Low Road at Brid's Garden, found by Steve Wing, so we tore down the road and seven or eigt of us waited. After just a short while it showed, I got breathtaking iews in the scope and we were all well happy. I stayed with the bird for a couple of hours, got some shot and sketches and generally enjoyed the bird, Cape Clear's 19th record!
 Back at the Waist, whilst this was going on there was a Barred Warbler, as well as the Wryneck showing. I got the Wryneck, but not the Barred Warbler. The bird we seen last night would be seen later in the day though and confirmed as a second Barred Warbler at the top of the Mass Track. Also on the Mass Track was a second Wryneck! Just to round the wholw day off Chick Mc Nally found a Rose Coloured Starling at the east end at last light, something to see tomorrow happily. All in all a very special days birding and we are really hopeful for tomorrow...

No comments: