Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Thursday, October 06, 2011

Cape Clear Island; 6th October 2011

 Dunnock

A tough day today and not much love raritywise. The wind was northwest, a force 8 gale swept the island and made birding very difficult. I started around Cotter's Garden, a Spotted Flycatcher, Chiffchaffs and Goldcrest were the best there. Numbers were down on yesterday and there was no sign of the Blyth's Reed Warbler, though it may still be skulking about. The Common Rosefinch was the bird of the day and showed well for the new birder's on the island in the morning sun...
 The Youth Hostel garden was quiet, as was the lighthouse road, though there were large numbers of Blackbird feeding on Hawthorn berries in on garden. A White Wagtail was noted at the Post Office.


 O Driscoll's Castle

Spent a while after lunch on the north shore photographing Gannets which were passing close in due to the wind. Shag were present along with a few Great Black Backed Gull. Afterwards another check of Cotters and then off to the bogs...

 Hooded Crow

The bogs were very quiet, with very few birds and no migrants at all. Chough were about, as was a Kestrel and Sparrowhawk. I went through Olly Gully carefully for no result, then the lake gardens which held a couple of Goldcrest. The lake was a late highlight, with 12 Little Grebes! Hopefully there will be better weather developing in the coming days..


 Stone Wall




 West Bog




 West Bog




The Low Road with Pointbullig in the distance...

No comments: