Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Cape Clear Island; 12th October 2011

 It just keeps coming on Cape Clear. A cracking juvenile Rose colured Starling found on the island today at the Secret Valley...


 Again on the bank where it sat for some time in the sunlight...


 Looking over it's shoulder...


 The best shot of the day, very happy with this, the bird caught spreading its tail...




 Stonechat at the lake...




 The view south from The Bill at 150mm...




The Red Eyed Vireo gave itself up to me today, just a few metres away here, a stunning bird..

Up early today and straight to Cotters. 2 Goldcrest, a female Blackcap and and few Meadow pipit went over calling, the thick fog really made things difficult. Visibility was about 25 metres! I civered the Waist as best I could, much the same there, a male Blackcap showed well and a brief view of the Wryneck was welcome. Then the Low Road, more Blackcap, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff and a Merlin the best. though the bogs were quiet. I had cracking views of the Short Toed Lark at the lake while, amazingly, another was found at the east end of the island. News came through of a Rose Colured Starling at the Secret Valley after lunch and I went for it straight away.
 On arrival at the site I crossed a few fields to where the bird was performing incredibly well. All of a sudden the mist lifted, the sun shone and the photos speak for themselves. A cracking juvenile bird, very nicely marked...
 A male Whichat followed before I headed back west, having crippling views of the now elusive Red Eyed Vireo. Stunning! Not long after came more amazing views of Short toed Lark! Then out to The Bill where I had Choughs, Curlew and Harbour Porpoise, nice just to relax and take in the incredible view. Another Whinchat at East Bog rounded off a quite incredible days birding....






No comments: