Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Cape Clear Island; 11th October 2011

 Song Thrush at Brids Garden...

Another day on the island where Cape Clear Islands ability to produce quality birds was demonstrated. I started in Cotters Garden, there was little there, just 2 Goldcrest, a female Blackcap and 5 Greenfinch, hardly groundbreaking! On then to the Waist where the Wryneck was sitting on it's favourite perch on the corner of the tennis court, I had cracking views. A few Goldcrest and Chiffchaff were about also and I spent a fair bit of time searching the area. On to Brid's Garden where ther was 3 Chiffchaff, 1 Song Thrush, 4 Goldcrest, 12 Blackbird, 9 Goldfinch, 2 Blackcap and a single Willow Warbler. Down at the bottom corner at Coosaneska there was a single Reed Warbler, not a bad result. The Red Eyed Vireo was not seen at this point and I went on to the bogs which were devoid of migrants. Back again at the Low Road and I eventually had a brief view of the Vireo behind Mairtin's house. Then i went over the top at Cotters Hill and checked the Kale fields, no result there. Back toward the harbour and there was something wrong....there were no birders in any of the gardens...


 Stonechat at the Kale Fields. Very scarce at the minute after two cold winters..

The reason for the absence of birder's began to preoccupy my mind as paranoid thoughs invaded mt brain. Eventually I found Chick Mc Nally and Dave Dillon and the told me "that the bird was showing again". I replied "What ####€# Bird?" and was told there was a Short Toed Lark at Lough Errul. Lunch then turned into a Double Decker and a can of Coca-Cola and I legged it to the lake, only to find that the bird had flown off. I waited for an hour but it didn't show and I resigned myself to dipping the bird, though held a little hope of it being refound. I headed backed for thr clug for a Lamb Roast and devoured it. I then headed back up the hill where I heard the bird had returned. I then bumped into Derek Charles and we headed up for the bird. As we arrived and walked along the lake the bird appeared to our left in flight, calling as it went, before landing on the road in front of us. thers in the area were alerted and we then enjoyed stunning views down to a few metres. The bird performed for an hour or so in good light and let me take some shots to remember it by, only my second irish Short Toed Lark, Cape had produced the goods again....

Short toed Lark, the bird gave itself up completely this evening...


No comments: