Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Bull Island; Dublin; October 2011

 Brent Geese in flight...




 Brent Geese, a family group on the saltmarsh...




 Brent Geese in flight...




 A lone Dunlin with a couple of Grey Plover...




Wheatear

Spent a few days in Dublin after Cape Clear, which meant birding on Bull Island with my father. The light was not great most of the time though I did get a few shots which I have posted here. My first Brent Geese of the year were about, almost 300 birds had already returned to winter at the site. Also notable were large numbers of Little Egrets, with at least 30 birds present. The species has greatly increased in the area and now breeds on the east coast. More worrying though were the low numbers of wildfowl, numbers seem well down here in comparison to ten years ago. Shoveler, Shelduck and Wigeon seem to be very much scarcer, there used to be hundreds, even thousands of these birds here. The returning female Blue Winged Teal was seen on a couple of occasions among the Teal.
 Waders were seen in good numbers, Black Tailed Godwit were very numerous with almost 400 birds present. Dunlin, Curlew Sandpiper(2), Little Stint(1), Bar Tailed Godwit, Knot, Oystercatcher. Greenshank, Redshank, Lapwing and Curlew were also noted. Curlew numbers are down hugely, I struggled to find ten birds, hundreds were the norm not so many years ago.
 Passerines were about too. Lots of Goldfinch, Reed Bunting, Linnet and Meadow Pipit about. Skylarks were also heard and seen, whilst Wheatear were plentiful on passage along the causeway and saltmarsh.

No comments: