Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Thursday, September 08, 2011

Skeppsbron; 8th September 2011



 Adult Baltic Lesser Black-backed Gulls at Skeppsbron, still a few about, perhaps all late nesting birds. These birds will take bread in the air at close proximity, on this occasion they were being fed by Dirk Van Gainsberg whiltst i took some shots...




 Common Guul, an adult in flight. Small numbers of these birds present at the site today..




 Great Black-backed Gull, a first calender bird now familiar to me, it has been present for months now..




 A second Great Black-backed Gull, not as regular as the other individual, though occasionally appears at the site. Note the heavier bill than the above individual...




 A Herring Gull that caught my eye. This bird has been mistaken for Yellow-legged Gull on more than one occasion. for good reason too Note the dark tertials, would not be out of place on Yellow-legged Gull. The newer scapulars are unmistakenly those of a Herring Gull, also note the short primary projection, bill size and shape and notched greater covert's. An interesting bird though, note the pale head, markings on the nape and mantle. The base of the bill has faded in tone. The Yellow-legged Gull was more advanced moultwise on its last day at the site, as one would expect.




 A juvenile Baltic Lesser black-backed Gull. Note the fresh scapulars....




Another juvenile Baltic Gull, note the browner tones, creamy fringes. New scapulars also warm toned in this bird...



No comments: