Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Skeppsbron; 7th September 2011

 A 1st Calender Baltic Gull ahead of a Herring Gull. Note the well marked underwing. At least six birds in this age group present today..




 Greater Black-backed Gull. Note the pattern on the tertials and scapulars.




 Baltic Gull, 1st Cal. Note the advanced moult. Further detail below...




 A very nicely marked 2nd calender Heriing Gull. This bird has been onsite for around a month now...





 A juenile Baltic Gull begs an adult for food by pecking at the red gonydeal spot on the bill of the parent.






 Detail of a young Baltic Gull showing advanced mouly of the mantle and scapulars. Note the new feathers. These bids are often sais not to moult until reaching the winter grounds, clearly not always the case. This however, is tthe the most advanced juvenile I have seen to date, as such an interesting individual...




A now familiar juvenile Baltic Gull, this bird shows no moult whatsoever. A classic light phase bird.

Shots from todays check of Gulls at Skeppsbron. Yesterday at Nykoping two Caspian Gulls were found, the site only an hour away. Hoping for a bird here in the coming weeks...

No comments: