Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Blue Featherleg(Platycnemis pennipes), Tyresta Nyfors; July 2011

 A male Platycnemis pennipes, note the white feathered legs and long light blue body...




 The double antihumeral stripes can be seen very well in this shot...




 A view from directly above displaying the dark markings on the upper abdomen...




 An immature, possibly a female...




Remarkably long bodied....


The odonate ticks keep on coming, this genus in fact is new to me. Was not long after arrival at the site that the first of many of these damsels was picked up in long grass and vegetation. I was struck by the largish size, long body and light blue coloration at first. I was looking closely at the markings on the abdomen when I noticed the white on the legs and the penny dropped Blue Featherleg(Platycnemis pennipes), Closer inspection confirmed the identification, the double antihumeral stripes another key feature noted. As often happens more were found in the area, where they seem fairly abundant. Plenty of photos taken and decent results to posted above...

No comments: