Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Thursday, June 09, 2011

Common Bluetail; (Ischnura elegans), Ängsö

 Ishnura elagans male in the act of eating another damselfly, possibly an immature of its own species. I was photographing this male went it suddenly pounced. Before long it begun to eat the other insect, a fascinating insight into behaviour...


The best shot of the day. An adult female Common Bluetail. Today was the first time I identified this species, though undoubtedly I had come across it before, the species is common. Ängsö was teeming with them today and that gave me great opportunities to photograph this delicate damselfly...


 An adult male. Note the slender abdomen, all blue S8 taillight, bronzed bands on the abdomen and the blue antihumeral stripes...


 A female this time...


 Another close up of a female...


 The same confiding individual again...


 One last extreme close oup of the green goggles!


An adult male at rest...

A new damselfly for me today and a great selection of good photos taken too, all in all happy days. Also had two Downy Emeralds, which were my first, as well as a couple of unidentified dragonflies which may well off been Small Pincertail...I'll be back in July!


No comments: