Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Thursday, June 09, 2011

Ängsö; 9th June 2011

 Leaving Stockholm on the ferry....


 Black and White image of Skeppsholmen.


 The sun beats down over the archipelago, a stunning day...


 Arrival after two hours on board...


 Ändsö meadow, a pristine environment for wildflowers...


 Cormorant colony...


Ängsö

A long awaited trip to the island of Ängsjö, not for birds as much as wildflowers. A glorious day weatherwise helped, a great day had on the island. I was limited to three hours due to restrictions, this is a reserve for wildflowers, the oldest in Sweden and nothing has changed here as a result. Old tradional land management and use of livestock insures a pristine environment for the fauna and flowers proliferate. A lot seen on the island flowerwise, about 500 photos taken today! Birds included Pied Flycatcher, Tree Pipit, Black Woodpecker and Lesser-spotted Woodpecker.

No comments: