Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Monday, May 23, 2011

Sandemar Reserve; 23rd May 2011





Common Rosefinch; a classic Sandemar species....the habitat here is perfect for them.




A visit today to Sandemar reserve. The next three weeks or so will be amongst the best of the year at the site, though it can hold good birds almost anytime of the year. Within a few seconds of arrival I heard the song of one of it's signature species, Common Rosefinch. My first for the year was followed by five more males during my morning and afternoon. Thrush Nightingales were singing too, three males were very vocal but typically alwost impossible to photograph! Whitethroat, Pied Flycatcher, Blackcap, Garden Warbler all quickly entered the notebook. Then the familiar song of Icterine Warbler was picked up and I found it in the high treetops in song, moving perch constantly as it did so. A nice yeartick, as were four Temminck's Stint, scoped from the observation tower. Very nice to see them indeed. As the dat wore on I had a singing Wryneck, as well as a Whinchat. A highlight was locating a Black Woodpecker nesthole and I enjoyed superb views of both adults feeding the three young through the scope. No matter how many times you see Black Woodpecker it retains real impact and it was a tremendous spectacle.


I spent some time looking for Golden Oriole and Red Backed Shrike without success, both have been reported at the site over the past few days. Wild flowers were everwhre and I pais them some attention camerawise over the day. Common Buzzard floated over, Meadow Pipits and Skylark sang, Lapwing and Redshank displayed. Lots of common birs through the day, as well as the odd gem here and there, I'll be back here soon...




No comments: