Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Landsort; 10th May 2011

 Norrhamn Harbour in Landsort, the main point of arrivall on the island...

A second trip of the year to my favourite birding site, Landsort. Upon arrival, after a quick walk around the village it was aaparent that no numbers of migrants were about. This could be put down the the clear, sunny weather and southeasterly wind, as well as the fact that dawn was at 4am, most migrants would of flown over, or landed on the island and kept moving north after a short period. Nevertheless, your always in with a chance on this island...


 This White Tailed Eagle was an early hightlight perched on the rocks....


 Norrhamn held a Pheasant which has either been introduced recently or made its own way over from the mainland. Eitherway, it's prospects of starting a family are not good...


 Sodra Udden. The heavy guns are a reminder of the second World War. They stand looking out over the baltic and are still an impressive site today...


 Landsort Fyr. A cracking spot to sit and observe migration, especially in autumn...


 The lighthouse viewed from the east. At times the bushes in this area are alive with tired migrants of all kinds...

A seawatch produced little of note, Eiders, a few Common Scoter and Razorbills all moving north. Wheatear were noticable around the area, some already paired up. A Black Guillemot was nice, but best of all was a littoralis Rock Pipit in song, nice views had too.



 Eider drakes.


 Wheatear pair.


 The eastern harbour, nothing around here except for a single Willow Warbler...


 Moored boat, the water is crystal clear here...


 Black Guillemot

After a thourough search produced just a Blackcap and a Willow Warbler I headed for the Arctic Tern colony and set about getting a few decent images, the terns duly obliged...


 Arctic Terns, a small colony of about twelve pairs here in Norrhamn...


 Buoys


After a potter about I set me sights on covering the mid and south of the island thoroughly and worked my way along slowly. Willow Warblers were noticable singing in all directions. A Wryneck was a very welcome find after a long mornings birding. Then my first Tree Pipits of the year, then Lesser Whitethroats, a Blackcap, a Common Whitethroat and so on, nice to have something to sift through...


Oystercatchers at their best right now...

Wood Anenome, the ground blanketed in them adding wonderful colour to the woodland...


Landsort woodland, in parts denser than this and difficult to find birds in due to wet ground..

At Norra Udden I had more Tree Pipits and a truly cracking male Whichat, a really well marked bird which made my day. On the return journey I flushed another Wryneck from the ground where it had been feeding on ants, before it began to sing, just visible in a high pine tree. Amazingly two other then began to sing from either sie, still I couldn't get a photo, but very nice all the same. I had another flog around Bredmar and Sodra Udden before catching the ferry on a very quiet, but enjoyable day. There's always somethong to see on Landsort....
Old rustic door...pity it wasn't a Rustic Bunting...


Common Gull watching over the harbour as I left...


No comments: