Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Monday, May 23, 2011

Black woodpecker feeding young; Sandemar; 23rd May 2011

First approach, the young rise from the inside of the nest chamber...



She feeds the first chick to reach her...



Food is inserted into the throat of the young bird...



Thr female fed a second chick at this stage before waiting at the hole to see if any faeces needed to be taken away...



She eventually departed to find fore food after about 30 seconds. Visits to the nest were about ten minutes apart by both adults, both feeding the young dilegently. Three chicks look to be doing very well and look healthy, all should fledge soon...

A sequence of shots here of a female Black woodpecker feeding three fledlings at the nesthole. I was lucky enough to locate this nest today and spent an hour watching both parents feeding the young. I grabbed just one series of shots with a remote shutter release from 30 metres range. This is only the third nest i have located in six summers here in Sweden, it was very nice to get shots of these birds today. I watched the birds for about an hour today as they came and went, a very nice experience indeed...


1 comment:

Kah-Wai Lin said...

Nice series of capture! I should visit Sandemar soon:)