Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Angarn; 22nd May 2011

                                                                                
 Marsh Sandpiper; quite amazingly, my third this month, having ticked the species a fortnight ago!

Work has interupted my birding this week, I finished at 4am on Sunday morning and grabbed six hours sleep before heading for Angarn. A Red Footed Falcon has been present here for the past three days, I was hoping it would hang on and made straight for the observation tower, alas no sign. I knew the bird had been seen from 03.30am-06.30am, it was 3pm. by the time I was thinking perhaps the increasing wind had made feeding difficult and wondered whether to move on. Then came the news, a Marsh Sandpiper had been found 500 metres from where I was! So it was that I hastily strolled onto my third Marsh Sandpiper this month, it showed well for a few hours on the open pool at Byskberget and I managed a few record shots...



 Not great photos but still clearly recognizable as Marsh Sandpiper in these record images...

After a while I set my sights on photographing Swifts, many of them were hawking over the reserve, After an hour or so I had taken 400 shots and had a single good image and was close to being demented. Yellow Wagtails were all about me but not showing well enough to photograph. An obliging male Marsh Harrier flew past soon afterwards...


 Marsh Harrier; a nice male bird....






 Jackdaw in flight






Swift, a lot of time and frustration involved in getting this shot. Eventually resorted to manual focus for these amazingly fast birds. Several pairs were seen to mate on the wing!

Little Ringed Plover in flight....


Somedays things fall into place, somedays they don't. A few hours had passed and I had enjoyed views of several nice birds, Wood Sandpipers feeding, dispalying Little Ringed Plovers and best of all were a pair of Hobby over the reserve hunting insects on the wing. At 5.10pm it apperaed out of nowhere on the far side of the reserve, a second year male Red Footed Falcon, which gave good views through the scope as it hunted insects in the air for 15 minutes or so. A very agile bird, though not quite possessing the aerial prowess of a nearby Hobby. The bird occasionally hovered briefly in mid air, which Hobby never does. The bird then went to ground in the woods and was not sen again before I left. What a result, I was well chuffed with myself! As it turned out a very good days birding indeed, my first swedish Red Footed Falcon as well as a big bonus bird in the form of Marsh Sandpiper.

No comments: