Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Monday, April 11, 2011

Tyresta National Park; 11th April 2011

Male Chaffinch Tyresta National Park was my choice today for a walk, arrived at dawn and immediatly Blue Tit, Great Tit, Nuthatch, Woodpigeon, Blackbird and Robin where everywhere, whilst a pair of Mute Swan were present on Lake Flaten. A Green Woodpecker was seen well as it sang from atop a dead tree high overhead. Into the forest then and Chaffinch seemed to be singing every 50 metres or so, likewise plentiful were Song Thrush. A short while later I picked up singing Treecreeper, before a pair of Common Crossbill flew past calling. The first clearing held two Willow Tit at a familiar territory, ideal habitat at the site holds a pair every year....
Greater Spotted Woodpecker, a confiding female bird..


Great Spotted Woodpecker were a feature, several drumming males were heard over the course of the walk, one feeding female showed very well for me and alowed some close range photos of her. A pair of Hawfinch were seen at this stage, then Siskin and Coal Tit were seen and heard. Jay began to appear, the birds busy mating and in some cases nest building and I enjoyed good views of these handsome birds as they went about their business....


Jay nest building...


Crested Tit were seen and heard occasionally through the morning, a pair of Ravens and Common Buzzard were then noted. Approaching an area of woodland marsh resulted in a Green Sandpiper seen well, Canada Geese and Greylag Geese were also present here. My first Dunnock of the year was heard soon afterwards before a pair of Black Woodpecker were found and were probably close to the nesting site judging by their behaviour. Two pairs of Common Crane were heard, their trumpeting calls filling the air before the highlight of the day was seen... A slight movement on the ground caught my eye, the binoculars revealed a cracking Woodcock looking right at me at just seven metres range before it walked behind a large tree and inexplicably dissapeared. Fieldfare, Long Tailed Tit, Yellowhammer and a pair of Green Sandpiper followed. A pair of Mistle Thrush were seen at Rundmar before I headed for Nyfors....









Dipper


As always at Nyfors the Dippers were showing well and I spent a while photographing one of four birds present, two pairs are breeding here I reckon. A pair of Hawfinch were noted here also before I headed home after a nice morning birding....

No comments: