Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Monday, February 21, 2011

Herring Gull; 3rd Calender; Skeppsbron; Febuary 2011

Note the pale fringes to the primaries, dark centred tertials just inside them. The bird shows plenty of faded immature coverts on the upperwing. The iris is already rather pale, note also the tone and markings on the bill...


The same bird as above in flight, the tailband appearing paler from below. The underparts are largely whitish, the barred underwing feathers of second year having been largely moulted out...


A trickier bird to age this one, after scrutiny I decided this bird to be in it's 4th calender year. Compared to the above bird note the adult type tertials and white leading edge to the covert's. The cliching feature is that white mirror on P6, an adult feather which has just grown out. The inner primaries are moulted first and provide the best means of ageing these birds correctly...


Underparts in flight.


A rather pale, slim bird....


This bird is not very advanced. Note the whitish head and underparts, second generation tertials and coverts and pale fringes to the primaries...


This individual appeared rather long legged at times....





A selection of Herring Gull images, most of these birds in their 3rd Calender year...

No comments: