Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Tyresö Slott; 26th October 2010

Dipper at Follbrinkstrommen...


Tyresö slott was the first port of call this morning and I arrived early. Birds were rather scarce as one would expect at the time of year. Siskins and Common Redpoll were noted in small numbers straight away and thoughout the visit. Blue Tit were everywhere as always, a few Blackbirds were seen and flushed, whilst Fieldfares were on the move overhead throughout. A Hawfinch brightened the morning, the bird high in the trees and betrayed itself by calling. I carefully checked the lower stream without much joy, a Grey Heron the only bird seen there. A handful of Goosander were present on the Slott, whilst the woods held a Green Woodpecker and a few Bullfinches. Nuthatch were numerous collecting beech mast and I stopped to draw them for a while. Over the bridge to Nottholmen, where a Raven flew overhead. I made my way through the trees to the reeds and waited...
It wasn't long before I heard the sound I had come for, the call of Bearded Tit. The reed exploded with their loud calls every few minutes, but it took a while to see one. After twenty minutes I had a flight view of a female/1st Winter bird. Then one appear high in the reeds briefly. After an hour the whole flock of five birds flew over the reeds on front of me and I latched on to an adult male in the binoculars for a few seconds, very nice indeed!
I headed off a while later to check the upper stream for Dippers. I had only arrived when I saw the first in the shallow rapids feeding. It flew downstream and I moved upstream to find two more at the falls, busily disputing each others presence. I watched them for 45 minutes before packing up my stuff. A glorious day in the sun with a few very nice birds seen just to cap it off nicely..

1 comment:

Springman said...

Wonderful shots!
You would be welcome to contribute and help to begin a new endeavour called "World Bird Wednesday" a chance for bird photographers to share and spread word of their blogs to others!
Visit http://pineriverreview.blogspot.com/ and check it out!
Springman!